Many chronic diseases negatively affect quality of life and contribute to decline in functioning
Leading causes of loss of function and death among people over 65 are heart disease, cancer, stroke lower respiratory disease, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, influenza, pneumonia, and unintentional injury.
Women continue to outlive men to an increasing extent as they age.
Steps to optimize health include:
- Eating healthy
- Maintaining a good personal care and hygiene routine
- Maintaining a safe, well organized and well supplied home
- Maintaining regular physician, dental and eye appointments
- Getting enough sleep
- Monitoring medication use
- Having a sense of purpose
- Socialization and leisure time activities